scooterplace

Friday, June 17, 2005

Louisiana scooter meet

We just returned from the Cushman Club of America's annual meet in Gonzales, Louisiana. Here is the report that I wrote for some other collectors who frequent Cushmangroup:

We got back last night from the CCOA national meet in Louisiana.
Great meet. We saw a lot of old friends and made some new ones. I
think that's what this hobby is really about. Missed seeing a few
people who were not there, but we'll see them at the next one.

I almost broke my arm patting myself on the back. I seem to have
that Allstate all figured out. I managed to fix the fuel system
problem before we left, and it ran like a new scooter the whole time
we were there. A couple of times, I managed to flood it a little and
it took ten or twelve kicks to start it, but more often than not, it
started on the first, or third kick. It takes three when it's cold.

From what I heard, some of the rides were tough, but everybody came
back smiling. The sun was bright and temps were in the 90's. The
only accident I heard of was about a half mile from the meet side.
Somebody spilled grease on the road and caused a skid or two, but no
injuries.

The Lamar-Dixon center gets good marks as a meet site. I don't
remember any complaints. We had free run of big parking lots and
streets paved with concrete. There was no traffic on the site
except for meet-related vehicles. I didn't even hear a complaint
about the gravel in the campground. I tried it on the scooter and
the bicycle and it was difficult, so I just stuck to the miles and
miles of pavement. I probably did 50 miles without getting off the
site.

There was no food available at the meet, but it was only a short
ride to resturants and fast food. I didn't care much for that
creole stuff. I was surprised to find sweet cornbread that far
south. One small serving sent my sugar level up 20 points.

The TradeMart building had vendors, the scooter show, and official
functions without shuffling in and out. It must have been an acre
in size and it was very air conditioned. It was so cool in there,
the heat felt good when you went outside -- for about 6.5 seconds.

Much of the meet took place in the scooter lockup area. That
consisted of two enormous sheds surrounded by paved parking lots and
all of that was surrounded by chain link fence. It must have been a
world record for scooter lockup. The gates were opened at 6 a.m.
and closed at 10 p.m. Even the scooter games were held in there.

The site was so big, it seemed like a small crowd, but I won't be
surprised if the figures show that it is one of the largest meets
yet.

More later when I think of something else. My brain is still tired
from the drive back. It took over 11 hours. That 10-year-old truck
never missed a beat.
Howard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
hit counter
Web Site Counters